Sammy Hagar, the legendary rock artist known as the Red Rocker, is headed out on tour in 2023. As one of the most popular rock singers of the past 50 years, Hagar draws huge crowds to his concerts. Fans are excited to see him perform hits like “I Can’t Drive 55,” “Mas Tequila,” and “There’s Only One Way To Rock.” But before Hagar takes the stage, audiences will get to see his opening acts. So who will be getting the crowd fired up for Sammy this time around?
Sammy Hagar 2023 Tour Dates
Here are the scheduled tour stops for Sammy Hagar in 2023:
|Los Angeles, CA
|San Diego, CA
|Talking Stick Resort Arena
|American Airlines Center
|New Orleans, LA
|Smoothie King Center
As you can see, Hagar will be playing major venues across the southern US before heading out to the west coast. Now let’s take a look at who the opening acts will be getting audiences pumped up at these shows.
The classic rock band Night Ranger will be opening many of the shows on Sammy Hagar’s 2023 tour. While they may not be quite as famous as Hagar himself, Night Ranger are rock legends in their own right after exploding onto the scene in the early 1980s.
Night Ranger is best known for their hits “Sister Christian,” “(You Can Still) Rock in America,” and “When You Close Your Eyes.” They developed a reputation for pairing melodic hard rock with catchy pop hooks. Throughout their career, the band has sold over 17 million albums worldwide.
Night Ranger’s current lineup still includes three original members – drummer Kelly Keagy, guitarist Brad Gillis, and bassist Jack Blades. They reunited in the mid-1990s after a hiatus and have been actively touring ever since. Their energetic live shows and roster of beloved rock anthems make them an ideal choice to get audiences excited before Sammy Hagar takes the stage.
Key facts about Night Ranger:
- Formed in 1979 in San Francisco
- Original members Kelly Keagy, Brad Gillis, and Jack Blades still in the band today
- Big 1980s hits include “Sister Christian,” “(You Can Still) Rock in America,” and “When You Close Your Eyes”
- Sold over 17 million albums worldwide
- Reunited in 1996 after a hiatus
- Known for their catchy melodic hard rock style
- High energy live shows make them a great opening act
So if you’re heading out to see Sammy Hagar on his 2023 tour, be sure to get there early to catch a set from the enduring and electrifying rockers Night Ranger!
George Thorogood and the Destroyers
The legendary blues rocker George Thorogood will also be opening some shows for Sammy Hagar in 2023. Thorogood rose to prominence in the 1970s and early 1980s with his band the Destroyers and their rowdy bar band style.
George Thorogood is best known for the classic song “Bad to the Bone” as well as other blues rock staples like “I Drink Alone” and “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.” He and the Destroyers built a reputation through endless touring for their raucous, high-energy shows and guitar-driven takes on blues standards.
Despite only ever achieving one Top 40 hit with “Bad to the Bone,” Thorogood has a devoted fanbase drawn to his macho stage persona and slide guitar skills. Sammy Hagar fans will be thrilled to see this electrifying blues rock showman as an opening act. The combination of Thorogood’s bad boy charisma and the Destroyers’ unrelenting jams will set the stage perfectly for the Red Rocker.
Key facts about George Thorogood:
- Started George Thorogood and the Destroyers in 1973
- Huge tour schedule in the 1970s and early 1980s built devoted fanbase
- Best known for blues rock classics like “Bad to the Bone,” “I Drink Alone,” and “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer”
- Rowdy, high-energy live shows featuring slide guitar skills
- Blues rock style inspired by Elmore James, Bo Diddley, and Chuck Berry
- Despite limited mainstream success, has sold over 15 million albums
- Seen as a premier blues rock showman
The pairing of George Thorogood with Sammy Hagar seems tailor-made to please crowds craving an extra dose of guitar machismo to go with the Red Rocker’s headlining sets. Thorogood is sure to get audiences on their feet and energized before Hagar’s performance.
The funk rock band Mother’s Finest will open for Sammy Hagar at select tour dates in 2023. This eclectic Georgia band rose to prominence in the 1970s with a unique style that blended funk, R&B, and heavy metal.
Mother’s Finest is anchored by vocalists Joyce “Baby Jean” Kennedy and Glenn “Doc” Murdock. The band is known for their wild, rocking live shows and blend of funky rhythms with hard-driving guitar. Some of their standout songs include “Fire,” “Mickey’s Monkey,” and “Baby Love.”
Despite not achieving quite the widespread fame as some of their 1970s contemporaries, Mother’s Finest developed an avid cult following drawn to their fusion of different musical styles. Fans of high-energy funk and melodic rock will find a lot to love in their opening sets for Sammy Hagar.
Key facts about Mother’s Finest:
- Formed in Atlanta, Georgia in 1970
- Original vocalists Joyce “Baby Jean” Kennedy and Glenn “Doc” Murdock still with the band
- Pioneering blend of funk, R&B, and heavy metal
- High-energy, rocking live shows
- Major cult following but limited mainstream success
- Best known songs include “Fire,” “Mickey’s Monkey,” and “Baby Love”
- Opening for major hard rock tours in the 1970s and 1980s
Mother’s Finest is the perfect choice for an opener when Sammy Hagar wants to bring extra funk and excitement to a show. Their diversity and showmanship will get any crowd ready for the Red Rocker!
In addition to these classic rock acts, country music superstar Ronnie Dunn will open for Sammy Hagar at selected tour stops in 2023. Dunn was originally one half of the massively successful country duo Brooks & Dunn.
After Brooks & Dunn went on hiatus in 2010, Dunn launched a successful solo career. He is known for country hits like “Cost of Livin,'” “Bleed Red,” and “I Wish I Still Smoked Cigarettes.” Beyond Brooks & Dunn, Dunn has won numerous country music awards including Grammys and ACMs.
Dunn brings something very different as an opening act from the other rock bands joining Hagar on tour. His country style and storytelling songwriting will be an intriguing change of pace. And with hits spanning decades, Dunn is sure to draw some excited country fans who might not normally attend a Hagar show.
Key facts about Ronnie Dunn:
- One half of the hugely successful country duo Brooks & Dunn from 1990 to 2010
- Launched a successful solo career in 2011
- Best known solo hits include “Cost of Livin,'” “Bleed Red,” and “I Wish I Still Smoked Cigarettes”
- Known for his country baritone and songwriting focused on everyday life
- Brooks & Dunn won numerous awards including Grammys and ACMs
- Solo success continued with multiple #1 country albums
- A unique country addition to Hagar’s mostly rock opener lineup
The combination of Ronnie Dunn’s down-home country style followed by Sammy Hagar’s energetic rock music makes for an interesting concert experience. Country fans get a familiar voice to warm them up before embracing something totally different when the Red Rocker hits the stage.
Sammy Hagar has assembled an eclectic collection of inspiring opening bands for his 2023 tour. The mix of country, blues, funk, and melodic hard rock means that audiences are sure to hear something they love to get the night kicked off right before Hagar takes over.
Seeing legendary acts like Night Ranger, George Thorogood, Mother’s Finest, or Ronnie Dunn is just an added bonus on top of witnessing Sammy Hagar himself in action. After these openers prime the audience, Hagar will deliver an unforgettable headlining set of classic rock radio staples and deeper fan favorites.
The opening bands on this tour provide the perfect warmup for the Red Rocker. It’s sure to be a night of great music from start to finish when Sammy Hagar comes to town with his hand-picked supporting lineup. So check the schedule and get your tickets today to experience an amazing show from open to close!