The Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York is one of the oldest and most prestigious thoroughbred horse racing tracks in the United States. The 40-day summer meet attracts top horses and jockeys from around the world and draws hundreds of thousands of racing fans each year. If you’re planning to attend the races at Saratoga, here are some tips on where and how to get tickets.
Buy in Advance Online
The easiest and most convenient way to purchase Saratoga race tickets is to buy them in advance online through the track’s official website (www.saratogaracetrack.com). This allows you to view the seating chart and select your preferred seats ahead of time. You can buy single-day general admission passes or reserved seats for groups in boxes, the grandstand, or clubhouse. Buying online ahead of time ensures you get the seats you want before they sell out for popular race days.
General admission tickets grant access to the track grounds and open first-come, first-served seating areas. Prices are lowest on Mondays and Tuesdays. Make sure to arrive early on weekends and for stakes race days to get a seat with your general admission ticket.
For premium views of the finish line and a guaranteed seat, opt for reserved grandstand tickets. These offer open seating within a sectioned-off area. Clubhouse tickets provide indoor, air-conditioned watching with televisions and full bar service. Luxury boxes seat groups of 4-8 people and come with private balconies and VIP amenities.
Buy at the Main Admission Gates
You can also purchase general admission and clubhouse tickets in person at Saratoga Race Course main admission gates. Tickets go on sale at 10:30am on race days. The main admission gates are located at:
- East Entrance on Nelson Avenue
- West Entrance on Union Avenue
Keep in mind boxes, grandstand, and other reserved seating areas typically sell out when purchasing onsite. Buying ahead online is still the best way to ensure you get seats in specific areas.
Third Party Resale Sites
If the tickets you want are sold out on the Saratoga website, try looking on trusted secondary market resale sites like StubHub. Here you can find grandstand, clubhouse, and other Saratoga seating being resold by previous purchasers. Just be aware that third party tickets often come with higher markups in price.
Group Sales Office
For group tickets for 20+ people, contact the Saratoga Group Sales Office at (518) 584-2110. They can help accommodate large groups with ticket packages and arrangements for areas like the chandelier room and other event spaces.
Season Pass Packages
For the most devoted Saratoga racing fans, season pass packages offer admission for the entire 40-day summer meet. These passes provide general admission for every race day or access to reserved grandstand seating. Passes range from a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars depending on amenities. They go on sale to the public each spring before the meet.
When to Buy
The earlier you can purchase Saratoga tickets the better, especially for popular stakes race days. While some general admission is usually still available day-of, high-demand reserved seating and hospitality areas sell out weeks and months in advance.
Here’s a timeline for when to buy:
- Season passes – On sale to the public in April/May each year
- Single reserved seats – On sale online in the spring, often sell out by July for August stakes races
- Day-of general admission – Available at admission gates each morning
Where to Sit
Saratoga Race Course has three main spectator areas – the Grandstand, Clubhouse, and Backstretch. Here’s a breakdown of the seating options in each:
- Boxes – Rows 1-4. Luxury cushioned seats, best finish line views.
- Sections A-F – Rows 5-55. Padded reserved seats under cover.
- Upper Grandstand – Rows 56-60. Upper concrete seating, exposed to elements.
- Backyard – Standing room by the paddock, family activities.
- Boxes – Rows A-I. Luxury indoor seating, air conditioning.
- Tables – Rows J-Q. Upscale bar and lounge area.
- Reserved – Rows R-Z. Indoor reserved seating under cover.
- Dining Room – Gourmet dining with race viewing.
- Picnic Area – Open grassy area for blankets and chairs.
- Chairman’s Tower – Outdoor bar on platforms with track views.
Keep these tips in mind when purchasing Saratoga Race Course tickets:
- Weekdays are more affordable with tickets starting around $7-10.
- Plan to spend $15-60+ for weekends and stakes races.
- Morning workouts are free to attend with no tickets needed.
- Avoid obstructed views behind poles in the 100s sections.
- Sections 25-27 offer great finish line views and shade.
- Check online resale sites for last minute deals.
- Sign up for e-newsletters to get presale ticket access.
- Friday is College Night with discounted tickets for students.
Getting to the Track
Saratoga Race Course is located at 267 Union Avenue in Saratoga Springs, New York. There are some parking and transportation options for getting to and from the track:
Paid parking is available at the race track lots off Union Avenue and Horseshoe Road. Prices typically range from $5-20 depending on proximity. Allow extra time to get in and out of the lots during popular events. Offsite parking is limited in the neighborhood streets surrounding the track.
Free shuttle buses run from downtown Saratoga Springs to the track on race days. Pickup is from the corner of Nelson and Union Avenues, about 0.3 miles from the main gates. Shuttles run every 5-10 minutes until 30 minutes after the last race.
Saratoga Springs City Bus routes 10, 12, and 14 serve the area by the racetrack. Buses run on a limited schedule so check times in advance. Fares are $1.50 per ride.
Apps like Uber and Lyft can drop off and pick up at the track. Designated rideshare pickup is near the East Entrance gate off Nelson Avenue.
Ticket Terms & Conditions
All Saratoga Race Course tickets purchases are subject to the following terms:
- Tickets are non-refundable.
- No re-entry is permitted on single-day tickets.
- All sales final, no exchanges or upgrades.
- Tickets cannot be resold above face value on venue grounds.
- Event dates/times subject to change.
- Ticket holder consents to security procedures and facility policies.
- Disabledaccessible and companion seats must be purchased directly through ticket office.
- Children under 12 receive free general admission when accompanied by adult.
With a wide range of seating options and ticket availability both online and onsite, getting access to Saratoga Race Course events is convenient. Advanced planning and shopping early, especially for popular stakes races, will ensure you secure the best value tickets for your budget. Carefully check seating locations before purchasing to get the view you want of the track and finishes. With tickets in hand, enjoy a day at one of the top thoroughbred racing venues in North America.