With the 2023 NFL season underway, fans are eager to get their hands on tickets to see their favorite teams live. Deciding when to purchase single game tickets can be tricky – buy too early and you may miss out on deals, but wait too long and inventory might be gone. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the ins and outs of the best times to buy NFL tickets.
When do single game NFL tickets go on sale?
The on-sale dates for NFL tickets vary by team. Generally, here is the timeline for when single game tickets go on sale:
- Preseason games: On sale in early summer (May/June)
- Regular season games: On sale in summer (July/August)
- Playoff games: On sale if/when the team clinches a spot (December/January)
- Super Bowl: On sale after conference championship games (late January)
Many teams announce official on-sale dates on their website and social media pages. Signing up for team emails and following NFL ticket resale sites can help you stay updated on ticket release info.
When is the best time to buy NFL tickets?
Savvy NFL ticket buyers aim to purchase at strategic times to maximize savings:
Right at on-sale
Snagging tickets for in-demand games right when they go on sale ensures you get in before inventory sells out. Act fast when tickets are released to lock in seats.
August is a good time to shop as sellers are eager to unload preseason tickets. Less demand makes for lower prices.
Early in the regular season
Once the NFL schedule is announced in the spring, prices tend to rise for big matchups as hype builds. Buying early capitalizes on under-priced tickets before the teams’ strengths are apparent.
After a loss
Ticket prices tend to temporarily dip after a team loses as seller panic ensues. Monitor prices in the hours/days following a loss for potential deals.
As teams are eliminated from playoff contention, demand drops in their markets driving down prices. Tickets also get cheaper for playoff teams after spots are clinched.
Scoring last minute tickets can yield big savings as sellers scramble to dump inventory. Be prepared to act instantly when deals pop up.
Where to buy NFL single game tickets
There are a variety of options when looking to purchase NFL tickets:
Team/NFL ticket offices
Purchase through team sites or NFL.com for direct team inventory. Allows season ticket holders to post tickets for resale.
StubHub, VividSeats and SeatGeek are reputable secondary marketplaces with huge ticket selection and buyer guarantees.
Local brokers may have game day ticket offices near the stadium. Can offer expertise and access to premium inventory.
Sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace connect local sellers. Good option but vet sellers and use caution.
Buying from scalpers outside the stadium is extremely risky. Counterfeit tickets and inflated prices are common.
Tips for buying NFL single game tickets
Follow these tips when purchasing NFL tickets:
- Be flexible – Consider alternate dates or nearby rivals if your top choice is sold out or expensive.
- Shop early – Inventory is most plentiful right at on-sale.
- Set budget alerts – Get notified if ticket prices drop into your range.
- Check view – Avoid obstructed views which are often discounted.
- Verify tickets – Carefully examine barcodes and holograms to avoid fakes.
- Read fine print – Understand ticket transfer policies and seller guarantees.
- Pay with credit card – For added fraud protection when buying from third parties.
Most expensive NFL games
Demand and intensity of rivalry play a big role in NFL ticket prices. Here are some of the priciest face ticket values over the last few seasons:
|Average Ticket Price
|Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants
|New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills
|Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears
|Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Baltimore Ravens
|New York Jets vs. New England Patriots
As expected, NFC East rivalry games dominate the list. Other frequently high-priced matchups include Steelers vs. Raiders, Chiefs vs. Broncos and Eagles vs. Cowboys.
Cheapest NFL games
While the top clashes will cost you, these games routinely have affordable ticket prices:
|Average Ticket Price
|Cincinnati Bengals vs. Cleveland Browns
|Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Houston Texans
|Detroit Lions vs. Chicago Bears
|Washington Commanders vs. New York Giants
|Atlanta Falcons vs. Carolina Panthers
Games between losing or under-the-radar teams tend to have the most budget friendly prices. Preseason and early season games also trend cheaper.
How much are NFL playoff tickets?
Playoff fever causes NFL ticket prices to rise, especially closer to the Super Bowl. Here are average prices fans paid for 2022 playoff games:
|Average Ticket Price
|Wild Card Round
|Super Bowl LVI
Wild Card and Divisional Round tickets can offer big savings compared to the regular season. Just reaching the Super Bowl causes prices to skyrocket into several thousands per seat.
Last minute deals
Scoring tickets at the last second comes down to monitoring sites for price drops and being ready to pull the trigger. Here are some of the best places to find NFL tickets even on game day:
- Team sites – Season ticket holders resell extra tickets here. Sort by “Best Available” to find last minute deals.
- Ticket resellers – Enable price alerts and check for deals night before/day of game.
- Outside the stadium – Risky but sometimes get lucky finding desperate sellers.
- Social media – Check fan pages for ticket giveaways.
- Gametime app – Last minute tickets only. Prices start high and drop until kickoff.
Avoiding NFL ticket scams
To make sure your tickets are legit:
- Only buy from official team/league sites or reputable resellers.
- Avoid sellers advertising on Craigslist, social media or outside stadium.
- Be skeptical of prices way below face value.
- Always pay with a credit card for buyer protection.
- Verify barcodes with official ticket checker apps.
- Beware of “free ticket” giveaways – often a ploy to steal personal info.
- If deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Timing your NFL ticket purchase wisely can help you save big on seats. Monitor team and reseller sites for presales and specials, buy early for the widest selection, and pounce on post-loss price drops. With hype high thanks to stars like Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady, this NFL season looks to be a scorcher for ticket demand. Use this guide to score seats to the top matchups without breaking the bank.