Ticketmaster’s free transfer option allows you to easily transfer tickets to friends, family or clients up until the event starts. This convenient feature provides flexibility if you can no longer attend an event you purchased tickets for. Here’s a quick overview of how Ticketmaster’s free transfer works:
What is a ticket transfer?
A ticket transfer is the process of changing the name associated with a ticket through the ticket provider. With Ticketmaster, you can transfer tickets you purchased on their platform to someone else to allow them to use the tickets instead of you.
How does Ticketmaster’s free transfer work?
If you bought tickets on Ticketmaster and can no longer attend the event, you can transfer the tickets to someone else for free through your Ticketmaster account. Here is the process:
- Log into your Ticketmaster account and access your tickets.
- Select the “Transfer” button next to the tickets you want to transfer.
- Enter the recipient’s name, email address and an optional message.
- The recipient will receive an email with instructions to accept the transfer.
- Once the transfer is accepted, the tickets are associated with the recipient’s account instead of yours.
It’s quick and easy – you can complete the whole ticket transfer process online in just a few minutes without fees.
What are the requirements for free transfer?
Here are the requirements Ticketmaster has for transferring tickets:
- The tickets must have been purchased directly through Ticketmaster.
- The transfer must be completed before the event starts.
- Only the original ticket purchaser can initiate the transfer.
- Tickets can only be transferred once.
- Some venues and events may not allow transfers.
As long as your tickets meet these requirements, you can take advantage of Ticketmaster’s free ticket transfers.
What tickets can you transfer?
Most tickets purchased on Ticketmaster can be transferred for free, including tickets for:
- Sporting events
- Theater shows
- Live comedy shows
There are some exceptions where transfers may not be allowed. This includes tickets for stackable general admission events where space is limited. Some venues and performers may also prohibit transfers. The tickets will indicate if they are non-transferrable at the time of purchase.
Why transfer tickets on Ticketmaster?
There are a few common reasons you may want to transfer your Ticketmaster tickets:
- You can’t attend the event – If something comes up and you can no longer go to the event, transfers allow you to easily send the tickets to someone who can attend.
- Gifting tickets – It’s a great way to securely gift event tickets to friends and family.
- Reselling tickets – Ticket transfers enable you to safely resell tickets at face value through Ticketmaster.
Whatever the reason, Ticketmaster’s free transfers provide a convenient way to get tickets to someone else.
What are the benefits of Ticketmaster transfers?
Here are some key benefits of using Ticketmaster’s ticket transfer feature:
- Avoid ticket fees – There are no transfer fees, unlike reselling tickets through a ticket exchange.
- Guaranteed valid tickets – Ticketmaster transfers ensure the recipient gets valid, authentic event tickets accepted at the venue.
- Simple and secure – The safe, user-friendly online transfer process minimizes the risk of ticket fraud.
- Convenient tracking – You can see the transfer status right in your Ticketmaster account and receive notifications.
- Flexibility – Makes it easy to send tickets to someone else if plans change.
How much does Ticketmaster charge for transfers?
Ticketmaster does not charge any fees for ticket transfers. You can transfer tickets to friends, family or clients 100% free of charge.
The only time you may encounter fees is if you try to resell or exchange tickets through Ticketmaster’s resale marketplace. But standard ticket transfers directly from the original purchaser are always free.
Are there restrictions on who you can transfer to?
There are no restrictions on who you can transfer Ticketmaster tickets to. You can transfer tickets to friends, family, clients, customers – anyone you wish.
The only requirements are that:
- You enter the recipient’s name, email address and optional message to initiate the transfer.
- The recipient must have a Ticketmaster account to accept the transferred tickets. If they don’t have an account, they will need to create one.
So as long as you have their email address, you can transfer tickets to anyone.
Can you transfer tickets already in your Ticketmaster account?
Yes, you can transfer tickets that are already in your Ticketmaster account to someone else. As long as you are the original ticket purchaser, you can select any eligible tickets in your account and transfer them, even if they were purchased a while ago.
To transfer tickets in your account:
- Access your Ticketmaster account and find your purchased tickets.
- Click the “Transfer” button next to the tickets you want to transfer.
- Enter the recipient’s info and transfer away!
Transferring already-purchased tickets works the same as transferring tickets right after buying them. Just initiate the transfer from your account instead of the purchase confirmation page.
Can you transfer tickets already sent to your Ticketmaster wallet?
If you previously added tickets to your Ticketmaster digital wallet for admission at the event, you can still transfer these to someone else.
To transfer tickets in your wallet:
- Open your Ticketmaster account and access your wallet.
- Select the tickets you want to transfer.
- Choose “Transfer” and enter the recipient’s details.
The tickets will be removed from your wallet once transferred. The recipient doesn’t need the Ticketmaster app or a wallet to accept the transfer.
What happens when you transfer tickets on Ticketmaster?
Here is an overview of what happens when you transfer tickets on Ticketmaster:
- You initiate the transfer by entering the recipient’s details and send the transfer request.
- The recipient gets an email notification to accept the tickets.
- Once accepted, the tickets are associated with the recipient’s Ticketmaster account.
- The tickets are removed from your Ticketmaster account permanently.
- You both receive confirmation emails that the transfer is complete.
At this point, the recipient takes full ownership of the tickets. You no longer have access to or control over the tickets in any way.
Can you transfer tickets back to the original purchaser?
Unfortunately Ticketmaster does not allow transferring tickets back to the original purchaser once they have been transferred away. Transfers are a one-way, permanent transaction.
Some key limitations include:
- Tickets can only be transferred once total.
- Once transferred, the new recipient cannot transfer them back.
- The original purchaser loses all access to the tickets after transferring.
So it is important to only transfer tickets to someone if you are absolutely certain, as there is no way to undo it or get them back.
What if the recipient does not accept the transfer?
If you transfer tickets to someone and they do not accept the transfer, here is what will happen:
- The transfer request will expire after a set period of time, usually 72 hours.
- The tickets will remain in your Ticketmaster account.
- You will receive an email notification that the transfer expired.
- You can then try transferring the tickets to someone else.
So the tickets simply revert back to you. You maintain ownership until the recipient officially accepts the transfer.
Can you transfer tickets on the day of the event?
Ticketmaster allows you to transfer tickets up until the scheduled start time of the event. So you can transfer tickets on the same day the event is taking place, as long as it is before start time.
Some key points about same-day transfers:
- You can initiate transfers online on the day of the event.
- The recipient must accept the transfer before the event starts.
- Tickets can be transferred up until the scheduled start time.
- Verify the event allows transfers before transferring tickets.
Transferring tickets on the day of an event provides flexibility in case last-minute issues arise. Just ensure the recipient can accept the tickets in time to be admitted to the venue.
What happens if tickets get transferred after they are scanned?
If you transfer tickets after they have already been scanned for entry at the event, the transfer will still go through and complete as normal.
However, the recipient will be unable to use the tickets since they were already scanned and accepted for admission under the original purchaser.
Once tickets are scanned and the event begins, transfers become invalid. The tickets’ barcodes are marked as redeemed in Ticketmaster’s system.
So it is crucial to complete transfers before ticket scanning begins at the venue. Transfers after the fact will not enable anyone else to access the event.
Can you transfer tickets bought from a third party?
Tickets bought from third-party resellers like StubHub or VividSeats cannot be transferred on Ticketmaster.
The key things to know:
- Only tickets originally purchased on Ticketmaster are eligible for transfers.
- Tickets from third parties were originally purchased elsewhere.
- You must transfer tickets back through the original point of purchase.
If you can no longer use tickets bought on a reseller marketplace, you will need to re-list them for resale on that platform. Ticketmaster will not facilitate transfers for tickets not bought directly through their system.
Is there a time limit to transfer tickets on Ticketmaster?
Ticketmaster does not impose any specific time limits on when you can transfer tickets, as long as you complete the transfer before the event starts.
Some general guidelines include:
- Transfers are available as soon as tickets go on sale.
- You can transfer tickets months or weeks before an event.
- Last-minute transfers are accepted on the day of an event.
- All transfers must be fully completed before event start time.
So feel free to transfer tickets whether they were purchased far in advance or at the last minute. The key is completing the transfer process before the scheduled start time.
Does transferring tickets impact the entry method?
Transferring tickets has no impact on the ticket entry method and will not change this in any way.
- Paper tickets – Any paper tickets transferred will still need to be printed out and presented for entry.
- Mobile entry – Tickets with mobile entry can still be scanned from the recipient’s smartphone.
- Wallet entry – Digital wallet tickets remain in digital form when transferred.
Whatever the original delivery or entry method, it remains the same after transferring the tickets. The transfer process itself does not affect this or require any additional action.
Can you transfer tickets if the event date changes?
If an event date changes, any tickets you purchased for the original date can still be transferred.
Key things to note:
- Transfers function the same for postponed or rescheduled events.
- Tickets automatically update to reflect the new event date.
- Recipients receive tickets for the most up-to-date event date.
- All other transfer steps remain the same.
So you can seamlessly transfer tickets even after the organizer changes the event date. The new date is automatically incorporated into the transfer process.
Ticketmaster’s free ticket transfers provide a flexible, cost-effective way to get event tickets to someone else when needed. The safe online process helps avoid ticket fraud and ensures a smooth handoff. Pay attention to transfer time limits and eligibility, but otherwise enjoy the convenience of easily sending tickets to friends or family as plans change.