Rochester, NY is an exciting destination for theater lovers. Though not as large as New York City, Rochester attracts several touring Broadway productions each year. The Rochester Broadway Theatre League brings top-quality musicals and plays to the city’s downtown theatres. Fans of Broadway shows have plenty of options to choose from in the upcoming 2023 theatre season.
What are the main theaters for Broadway shows in Rochester?
There are two primary venues in Rochester that host touring Broadway productions:
- Auditorium Theatre – This historic, 2,955-seat theatre first opened in 1931. It is home to the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra and also hosts major Broadway shows in its large proscenium theatre space.
- RBTL’s Kodak Center – Formerly known as the Rochester Riverside Convention Center, this venue was renamed after Eastman Kodak purchased the naming rights. The Kodak Hall seats 2,466 people and frequently welcomes Broadway musicals and plays.
Between these two excellent venues, Rochester audiences can enjoy national touring companies performing hit Broadway shows. The Kodak Center tends to focus more on musicals, while the Auditorium Theatre has also hosted straight plays in recent years.
What Broadway musicals are coming to Rochester in 2023?
Several exciting and award-winning musicals are making their way to Rochester stages this coming year. Here are some of the top Broadway musical tours scheduled for 2023:
- Les Misérables – February 14-19 at RBTL’s Kodak Center – The enduring revolutionary musical returns to Rochester after enjoying an acclaimed revival on Broadway.
- Tootsie – March 21-26 at RBTL’s Kodak Center – This hilarious musical comedy is based on the 1982 film and won Best Book of a Musical at the Tonys.
- Anastasia – April 11-16 at RBTL’s Kodak Center – Adapted from the animated film, this romantic musical has audiences raving about its beautiful score.
- My Fair Lady – May 9-14 at RBTL’s Kodak Center – The Lincoln Center revival of Lerner & Loewe’s beloved classic won the 2018 Tony for Best Musical Revival.
In addition, RBTL has announced that their 2023-2024 season will include the Rochester premieres of Beetlejuice, Six, Jagged Little Pill, and Tina – The Tina Turner Musical. Season subscriptions will go on sale in February 2023.
What plays from Broadway are touring to Rochester in 2023?
Along with several big musicals, Rochester theatergoers can also look forward to these acclaimed Broadway plays coming to the Auditorium Theatre next year:
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird – January 17-22 – Aaron Sorkin’s stage adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel was a smash hit on Broadway, winning the Tony for Best Play in 2018.
- The Lehman Trilogy – March 7-12 – After winning 5 Tony Awards including Best Play, this epic 3-part play comes to Rochester for one week only.
- Life After – April 18-23 – Brittany K. Allen’s new play makes its first national tour stop after an extended Broadway run. It’s an uplifting dramedy about rebuilding life after loss.
The Auditorium Theatre has also announced a few of the plays coming as part of the 2023-2024 season, including The Piano Lesson by August Wilson and A Soldier’s Play. Expect additional straight plays to be added to the lineup soon.
When do tickets for 2023 Broadway Rochester shows go on sale?
Tickets are already on sale for some upcoming shows, while others have yet to announce ticket on-sale dates. Here are some key dates for Broadway Rochester 2023 ticketing:
- Les Misérables tickets are on sale now through the RBTL box office.
- Tootsie tickets go on sale November 7, 2022.
- Tickets for the RBTL 2023-2024 season will go on sale in February 2023. Current season ticket holders can renew their subscriptions starting in December 2022.
- Auditorium Theatre play tickets typically go on sale 2-3 months in advance.
RBTL encourages patrons to check back often for newly announced shows and ticketing details. Tickets can be purchased directly through each theatre’s box office or website. Season packages offer a discount on individual show ticket prices.
How much do Broadway Rochester tickets cost?
Ticket prices in Rochester for touring Broadway shows are very affordable compared to New York City or other major markets. Here are some average price ranges:
|Avg. Price Range
|Big Broadway musical
|$60 – $100+
|$40 – $80
|RBTL season package
|$250 – $600+
Single ticket prices vary depending on seat location in the theater. Season ticket packages can offer 20-30% discounts on individual show tickets. There are also discounted rates available for students, seniors 60+, groups and members of the military.
Are there lottery, rush or standing room tickets?
RBTL does not offer ticket lotteries, rush tickets, or standing room policies for their Broadway series. However, some shows do hold a limited number of day-of tickets at the box office for patrons willing to take their chances on last minute availability. These are mostly partial view seats or singles that can only be released once the theatres are sure no season ticket holders will claim them.
For very high demand shows, patrons can join waitlists for added seats or cancellations. But availability is not guaranteed. The best way to ensure you’ll get seats is to check back frequently when new shows are announced and buy early when tickets first go on sale to the public.
What are the best seats to get for Broadway Rochester shows?
With most touring Broadway shows, there are excellent viewing options from every area of the theaters. However, many Rochester patrons prefer these sections for the optimal experience:
- Center Orchestra – The middle of the orchestra section offers a straight-on view and the most immersive experience for musicals with big production numbers or dance.
- Front Mezzanine – For a slightly elevated perspective, the front mezzanine delivers clear sight lines while still feeling close to the stage.
- Front Boxes – For intimate plays, box seats to the side on the lower level provide perfect views of facial expressions and nuanced acting.
Of course, personal preferences vary. Some may want to avoid the extreme sides for straight plays, or sit further back for bigger spectacle style musicals. Checking each theater’s seat views ahead of time can help match preferences to seat locations.
What COVID safety policies are in place for Broadway Rochester?
As of October 2022, Broadway Rochester has lifted all mandatory COVID safety policies enacted during the pandemic. However, patrons should continue to check back prior to their show date for any updates to protocols. Some tips for staying safe when attending a show:
- Check the theater website for recommended or required safety policies closer to show dates.
- Wear a mask while in crowded lobby areas if you feel more comfortable.
- Allow space between groups while seated inside the theater.
- Use hand sanitizing stations located throughout the venue.
- Stay home if feeling unwell and exchange tickets if sick.
Broadway Rochester works closely with touring productions to adapt safety plans as needed. Any patrons with questions or concerns can contact the box office for guidance.
How can I learn about newly announced Broadway Rochester shows?
RBTL makes announcements about upcoming Broadway seasons and added shows through several channels:
- Email newsletter – Sign up at RBTL.org to receive their Broadway email newsletter with new show announcements and presale code offers.
- Social media – Follow RBTL and the Auditorium Theatre on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay updated on all the latest news.
- Website – Check RBTL.org and AuditoriumTheatre.org regularly for updates on new shows, dates and ticket on-sales.
Being among the first to know about newly announced Broadway series and added special engagements gives patrons the best access to presales and priority seating before general public tickets go on sale. So connect with RBTL online to ensure you never miss a new show update.
What dining and hotel options are near the Rochester theaters?
One of the appeals of the Rochester theater district is the abundance of dining and hotel options conveniently close to the venues. Here are some top recommendations:
- East Avenue Inn & Suites -Adjacent to the Auditorium, offers packages with theatre tickets
- Hyatt Regency Rochester – Connected via skyway to the Riverside Convention Center/Kodak Hall
- Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown – Short walk to both theatre venues
- Chester Cab Pizza – Grabs slices or full pies just down the street from the Auditorium
- Ox and Stone – Upscale American dishes and craft cocktails, located in the Hyatt Regency
- Tournedos Steakhouse – High-end dining inside the Rochester Plaza Hotel next to Kodak Hall
With so many excellent choices surrounding the theaters, patrons can easily find the perfect match for their tastes and budget. Arrive early to enjoy drinks or dinner before showtime, or meet up with friends afterwards to celebrate a great night of theatre.
What else is there to do in Rochester besides Broadway shows?
Beyond its top-notch theatre scene, Rochester offers many other attractions and activities to fill out a weekend visit or longer stay:
- Museums – Explore world-class collections at the Memorial Art Gallery, George Eastman Museum, and more.
- Festivals – Enjoy festivals and events like the Rochester Jazz Festival, Park Ave Fest, and Lilac Festival.
- Parks – Relax in the scenic Highland Park, Mt Hope Cemetery, or along the Genesee Riverway Trail.
- Shopping & Nightlife – Browse shops and enjoy nightlife in areas like Park Avenue, the East End, and South Wedge.
- Family Activities – Check out kid and family destinations like the Seneca Park Zoo, Seabreeze Amusement Park, and Strong National Museum of Play.
Whether just passing through for a show or spending more time exploring, Rochester’s blend of urban and natural attractions offers something for all interests. Enjoy everything the upstate New York city has to offer.
Rochester provides a rich line-up of Broadway musicals, plays, and special events without the high costs and hassles of a NYC trip. Convenient theaters, great hotels and restaurants, and additional local attractions make it an ideal destination for theater lovers. By planning ahead, securing tickets early, and staying up-to-date on all the latest show announcements, patrons can look forward to an incredible 2023 Broadway season in Rochester, NY.