Aerosmith is set to perform a highly anticipated concert in their hometown of Boston, Massachusetts later this year. As one of the most popular and enduring rock bands of all time, there is huge excitement building around their upcoming show. Fans are eager to find out everything they can about the event, including what band will have the prestigious role of opening for the legendary rockers in front of their adoring Boston fans.
Who are the leading contenders to open for Aerosmith in Boston?
While an official announcement has not yet been made, there is much speculation around who will open the show. Here are some of the leading contenders:
- Boston – The classic rock band behind hits like “More Than a Feeling” and “Peace of Mind” would be an inspired choice to open the show given their shared history with Aerosmith in the Boston music scene.
- New England – This regional alt-rock band has been gaining popularity and exposure opening for major acts. Their energetic live performance could really get the crowd excited.
- Dropkick Murphys – The beloved Celtic punk band with deep Boston roots would undoubtedly put on an intense and rowdy performance suited for opening a major rock show.
- Extreme – The Boston funk-metal band fronted by Gary Cherone toured with Aerosmith in the past and could make for an intriguing retro opening act choice.
- The Cars – Though they disbanded years ago, a reunion of the classic Boston new wave hitmakers would get crowd excitement through the roof.
Other potential options for the coveted opening slot include blues rocker Susan Tedeschi, New Kids on the Block for some nostalgic fun, and Boston rapper Guru. But the smart money seems to be on one of the leading local rock acts having the honor of firing up the crowd to start the night.
What are some other classic Aerosmith concerts in Boston?
As Boston’s most beloved rock export, Aerosmith has a long history of putting on epic live shows in their hometown. Here’s a look back at some of their most memorable Boston concerts over the decades:
- 1973 – Chain Reaction – One of Aerosmith’s first major Boston gigs took place at this iconic club, helping put them on the map locally.
- 1976 – Boston Garden – Aerosmith played to a frenzied sold-out crowd as their first album soared up the charts.
- 1984 – Orpheum Theatre – This intimate theater hosted a raging sold-out show as Aerosmith enjoyed an early 80s resurgence.
- 1994 – Foxboro Stadium – Over 50,000 fans endured heavy rain as Aerosmith headlined this major stadium show.
- 2004 – FleetCenter – Aerosmith brought their mammoth career-spanning “Honkin’ on Bobo” tour to Boston.
- 2010 – TD Garden – One of Aerosmith’s most recent Boston concerts saw them co-headline with ZZ Top.
From small clubs to massive stadiums, Aerosmith has always brought high energy and put on an incredible live performance for their loyal Boston fans. Their upcoming show looks to add another unforgettable chapter to that legacy.
Why is Boston such an important city for Aerosmith?
There are several key reasons why Boston has played such a pivotal role in Aerosmith’s enduring success and status as rock legends:
- They formed in Boston and played early gigs at local clubs like the Chain Reaction.
- The city’s rock music scene in the late 60s/early 70s nurtured them and helped hone their sound.
- Boston fans ardently supported them early on even before they achieved nationwide popularity.
- They are considered a crown jewel of Boston’s rich music history alongside acts like the J. Geils Band.
- Their local roots and ties to the city are apparent in songs like “Sweet Emotion.”
- Aerosmith actively gives back to the Boston community through charitable endeavors.
In many ways, Boston is considered Aerosmith’s spiritual home and a key part of their musical identity. The band never forgets their hometown crowd that has supported them from the start. That strong bond ensures any Aerosmith concert in Boston is always a special event.
The band’s Boston musical influences
Growing up in Boston and cutting their teeth in its vibrant music scene influenced Aerosmith’s sound and songwriting in several noticeable ways:
- Gritty blues rock bands like The J. Geils Band made a clear impression.
- Their funky grooves and swagger borrow from bands like James Brown.
- They fused R&B rhythms and guitars in the style of the Yardbirds and Stones.
- Lyrics sometimes reference Boston landmarks and culture.
- Early concerts opened for Boston legends like the New York Dolls.
Though they went on to achieve global fame, Aerosmith still pays homage to those Boston blues and R&B roots that shaped their rock and roll attitude and sound.
What is the concert venue in Boston?
Aerosmith’s upcoming Boston concert is set to take place at:
The open-air baseball stadium located in downtown Boston holds over 37,000 people when configured for concerts. With its enormous capacity and iconic status in the city, Fenway Park promises an unbeatable atmosphere to see Aerosmith’s homecoming show.
Some key facts about Fenway Park as a concert venue:
- Opened in 1912, it is the oldest MLB ballpark still active.
- Hosted stars like the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney.
- Features excellent acoustics and views from its seating bowl configuration.
- Stage is set up in center field with giant video screens on each side.
- Hometown stars like Aerosmith, New Kids on the Block and Boston have played there.
Hearing hits like “Sweet Emotion” and “Walk This Way” echo through the hallowed ballpark should make for an unforgettable night in Boston for Aerosmith and their fans.
Other potential Boston venues
If Fenway Park was not available, here are some other viable Boston venues Aerosmith could have chosen for their show:
- TD Garden – Home of the Celtics and Bruins can fit up to 20,000 for concerts.
- Gillette Stadium – Foxborough stadium has hosted major rock acts like U2.
- House of Blues – Intimate downtown venue with rich concert history.
- Orpheum Theatre – Classic theater hosts 2,700 in an ornate setting.
- Paradise Rock Club – Famed club where Aerosmith got early break.
But for a homecoming celebration, none compare to the special feeling of playing in Fenway, Boston’s most hallowed venue.
How much are floor seats compared to lower level?
Based on pricing seen for recent Fenway Park concerts, fans can expect floor seats near the stage to be significantly more expensive than lower level seating in the ballpark:
|Average Price Range
|$150 – $300+
|Lower level seats
|$70 – $150
The major price difference reflects the desirability of floor seats due to their proximity and direct view of the stage. Lower level seats are farther back in the ballpark seating, though still offer a decent elevated view of the stage and video screens.
Of course, prices can rise for resale tickets in high demand. But fans can expect to pay around twice as much for the prestige of being on the floor for this epic Boston Aerosmith show compared to lower level seating.
Most expensive VIP/Pit options
For fans looking for a truly special five-star VIP concert experience and money being no object, here are some of the most exclusive (and pricey) options likely to be offered:
- Pit passes – Standing room only right up against the stage for $500+.
- VIP backstage tour package – Get exclusive backstage access, merchandise, pre-show reception with food/drinks for $1000+ per person.
- VIP lounge access – Access to exclusive lounge with premium food, drinks and restrooms for $300.
- Premium parking pass – Valet parking right next to venue for $100.
Deep pocketed superfans will spare no expense to get the ultimate Aerosmith VIP treatment in Boston! But even standard floor tickets will provide an amazing experience.
How quickly will the concert sell out?
Given the band’s hometown popularity and Fenway Park’s large capacity, this Aerosmith Boston concert will undoubtedly be a hot ticket. Fans can expect tickets to sell out very quickly, likely within minutes or hours of the public on-sale.
Several factors indicate huge first day demand:
- Aerosmith’s 50 year anniversary tour hype is enormous.
- Playing their beloved Boston is a major event.
- Fenway Park concerts always see frenzied demand.
- pent up appetite due to concert touring halt during COVID.
Many sources advise fans be ready the instant tickets go on sale online or risk getting shut out. Presales for members of the band’s fan club and other groups will also snap up prime tickets in advance.
Given the perfect storm of Aerosmith’s enduring popularity and their triumphant Boston homecoming, a rapid sellout seems inevitable.
Best ways to get tickets
To maximize chances of scoring tickets to this ultra hot Boston Aerosmith show, fans should utilize these key strategies:
- Register early for advance ticket access like fan club and VIP presales.
- Be online the minute tickets go on sale with websites/apps pre-loaded.
- Use multiple devices to access ticketing sites to increase odds.
- Don’t waste time deciding – select your section and buy instantly before tickets disappear from your cart.
- If you miss out initially, check back for release of last-minute tickets later in the sales cycle.
- Be wary of scalpers and inflated secondary market prices, buy from official ticket vendors when possible.
With huge demand expected, having a plan of attack for obtaining these coveted tickets will be critical for anyone hoping to catch Aerosmith live at Fenway Park.
How will Aerosmith tailor the show for Boston?
Given the special nature of performing in their beloved hometown, Aerosmith will likely craft a setlist and overall show production specifically tailored for Boston fans:
- Expect a high number of their classic hits the city loves like “Sweet Emotion” and “Dream On.”
- Should be heavy on tracks from their 1970s heyday when they built their Boston following.
- Local imagery/icons will be featured on multimedia visuals and merchandise.
- May bring out special guest stars with Boston ties for surprise collaborations.
- The band will reflect on special Boston memories and influences throughout the night.
- Crowd energy and interaction with the hometown faithful will be high all night.
Rather than a standard tour show, the vibe will feel more like an epic celebratory block party atmosphere amongst Aerosmith and thousands of their most loyal Boston fans.
Special local guest stars
As a way to make the night even more special, here are some potential Boston stars Aerosmith could bring on stage for unique hometown collaborations:
- New Kids on the Block – Join for a fun “Walk This Way” duet
- Steven Tyler’s daughter Liv Tyler – Sing “Crazy” together
- Extreme – Nuno Bettencourt guitar duel with Joe Perry
- Don Law – Introduce their legendary Boston concert promoter
- The Cars – Join for “My Best Friend’s Girl” tribute to late Ric Ocasek
- Boston – Tom Scholz joins to play “More Than a Feeling” together
The possibilities are endless for special appearances to put the ultimate Boston touch on this extraordinary concert event.
Aerosmith returning home to Boston for a 50th anniversary show at Fenway Park will be an incredible experience for their most passionate fans. The open-air ballpark venue will let the music legends connect to their roots and celebrate their musical journey where it all began. This concert is destined to be a major feather in Aerosmith’s cap cementing their local Boston legend. Fans lucky enough to score the hottest ticket in town will undoubtedly be regaled with classic hits and a uniquely memorable hometown throwdown. It will be a Boston rock and roll night for the ages.