Ticketmaster Platinum tickets are a special tier of tickets that give fans access to the best seats at concerts and events. They provide premium amenities like VIP parking, exclusive merchandise, and more. Platinum tickets are dynamic, meaning prices fluctuate based on demand. This leads many fans to have questions about what exactly Platinum tickets entail and whether the higher prices are worth it.
What are dynamic prices?
Dynamic pricing is a system where ticket prices change over time based on supply and demand. Prices start lower and increase as an event draws near and fewer tickets remain. Ticketmaster uses dynamic pricing specifically for Platinum tickets. This means Platinum ticket prices are not set in advance. The prices fluctuate leading up to the event, with prices typically being highest right before the event takes place.
Some key factors that influence Platinum ticket prices include:
- The popularity of the artist/team/show
- The venue size and location
- The day of the week or time of the year (weekends and holidays are more expensive)
- Other events happening nearby that weekend
- How fast tickets are selling
As an event becomes more in-demand, Platinum ticket prices increase. Fans who buy early when prices are lower get the best deals. Prices are updated frequently based on these factors, so fans need to check back often if aiming for the lowest price.
What amenities do Platinum tickets offer?
Compared to standard tickets, Platinum tickets provide access to various premium amenities. While specific inclusions vary by event, common Platinum ticket perks can include:
- Seats in premier locations like the lower bowl or front rows
- VIP parking close to the venue
- First access to merch stands with exclusive merch
- Food and drinks in a VIP lounge area
- Complimentary upgraded food and beverage options
- Separate VIP entrances and bathrooms with shorter lines
- Meet-and-greet or pre-show reception with the artist/team
- Photobooth meet-and-greet photo opportunity
- Commemorative VIP laminate/lanyard
These amenities aim to provide Platinum ticket holders with a more convenient, luxurious experience compared to standard ticket holders. The seating locations closest to the action paired with the VIP perks justify the higher prices for some fans.
Are Platinum tickets worth the higher prices?
Whether Platinum tickets are worth the higher price depends largely on the event and your budget. Here are some pros and cons of purchasing Platinum tickets:
- Guaranteed seats in prime or front row locations
- Shorter lines and less crowded bathrooms
- Easier parking and venue access
- First dibs on exclusive merchandise
- Chance to meet artists/players with VIP packages
- More inclusive food and drinks
- Elevated overall experience compared to standard tickets
- Higher prices that may not fit everyone’s budget
- Added amenities may not be worth the price hike for some fans
- Prices fluctuate and could be marked up exponentially for high-demand events
- Less opportunity to sit with large groups of friends
Whether the perks justify the higher prices depends on your budget, interests, and the type of experience you want. Platinum tickets guarantee prime, VIP-style treatment for serious fans who want an elevated experience. For more casual fans, standard tickets may still provide enjoyable access at a more affordable price point.
How much more do Platinum tickets cost?
Since Platinum ticket prices are dynamic, there is no set premium over standard tickets. The price gap varies substantially based on factors like:
- The overall base ticket price range for the event
- The popularity of the event
- The specific section/row of the Platinum seat
- How close the purchase is to event date
In general, Platinum tickets tend to cost 20% to 50% more than standard tickets for the same event. However, for extremely high-demand events and prime locations, Platinum tickets could potentially cost 2 to 5 times more than standard tickets.
Fans can expect to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars more compared to standard tickets for top artists playing big venues when buying Platinum tickets. For smaller indie shows or unknown acts, the Platinum premium might just be 10-20% over standard ticket prices.
Where are Platinum seats located?
Platinum seats are located in the best and most coveted areas of each venue. For concerts, Platinum seats typically provide access to space right near the stage on the arena floor or lower bowl. Some other common Platinum concert ticket locations include:
- Front row seats
- VIP pit access directly against the stage barricade
- Luxury suites overlooking the stage
- Floor seats in the first 5-10 rows
- Lower bowl seats in the first few rows near the stage
- Seats in the center of the first few sections closest to stage
For sporting events, Platinum seats often include:
- Front row seats closest to team benches/dugouts
- Floor seats near center court or midfield
- Lower level seats near midfield line halfway up sections
- Seats behind home plate, near penalty boxes, or team tunnels
- Club level seats midway up sections along sidelines or baselines
In general, Platinum seats get fans as close to performers and the action as possible compared to standard seating. This prime access comes at a premium price.
When do Platinum tickets go on sale?
Platinum tickets typically go on pre-sale shortly before the general public on-sale for an event. Platinum pre-sales may be available anywhere from 1-4 weeks prior to the standard tickets.
However, for extremely high-profile events, Platinum tickets may go on sale months in advance to capture maximum demand. Beyoncé’s Renaissance World Tour Platinum tickets went on pre-sale a full 6 months before the public on-sale, for example.
Artists and teams sometimes announce dedicated pre-sales just for these premium Platinum tickets separate from fan club or venue pre-sales. This gives fans wanting Platinum access an early shot before the masses buy standard tickets.
Once on sale to the general public, Platinum ticket prices remain dynamic. They can fluctuate up until the event occurs based on demand. So even if fans miss the initial Platinum pre-sale, prices—while higher—may still be available later.
Can you buy Platinum tickets after initial sale?
Yes, Platinum tickets can be purchased after pre-sales end and the general public on-sale begins. However, prices are likely to be higher as demand increases leading up to the event. Here are some tips for getting Platinum tickets after the initial sale:
- Check Ticketmaster frequently for price changes and seat availability
- Consider waiting until 1-2 weeks out when sellers may drop prices
- Use Fan-to-Fan Ticketmaster resale to buy from other verified Ticketmaster users
- Leverage contests and promotions for chances at Platinum tickets
- Consider VIP ticket packages with perks through official team/artist fan clubs
- Use a reputable ticket reseller and compare seller guarantees and fees
There is no guarantee Platinum inventory will still be available closer to the event. But dynamic pricing means late-comers may luck out with ticket releases or price drops in lower fan demand situations.
Should you buy Platinum tickets from resellers?
Buying Platinum tickets from unauthorized resellers or scalpers brings major risks. There is no guarantee the tickets are valid or the seat locations as advertised. Here are tips on minimizing risks when buying Platinum tickets from resellers:
- Only buy from 100% verified Ticketmaster resale marketplaces
- Check seller ratings and reviews carefully
- Confirm a money-back purchase guarantee is included
- Only use reputable marketplaces like VividSeats or StubHub
- Avoid buying outside the venue from scalpers
- Be wary of prices that seem too good to be true
- Verify barcode immediately through Ticketmaster
Reputable resellers with purchase guarantees can provide more protection. But buying directly from Ticketmaster, either originally or through their Fan-to-Fan resale marketplace, is the safest option. This ensures tickets are valid and directly tied to your Ticketmaster account.
How accessible are Platinum tickets for fans?
The accessibility of Platinum tickets ultimately comes down to an individual fan’s budget. Lower-income fans are far less likely to be able to justify or afford the elevated Platinum prices. When the most dedicated, front-row fans get priced out, it can understandably frustrate fan bases.
However, Ticketmaster notes most Platinum tickets are still priced comparably or even lower than secondary market reseller prices for the same seats. Some strategies to improve affordability include:
- Buying during pre-sales when prices are lowest
- Joining fan clubs for pre-sale window access
- Seeking contests and giveaways for free Platinum tickets
- Going to smaller shows with lower Platinum price premiums
- Comparing prices across resellers for best deal
While never as affordable as standard tickets, these tips can potentially help reduce costs for true fans seeking Platinum access.
Ticketmaster Platinum tickets enable fans to gain access to the best possible seats for concerts and sporting events. The dynamic pricing aims to capture true demand, though costs can be high. For fans with the budget, Platinum tickets bring major perks like exclusive merchandise, VIP lounges, premier parking, and elevated experiences overall. They best serve artists’ biggest supporters who want to be front-and-center for the action. While pricing many fans out, Platinum tickets capture the premium some are willing to pay for the best possible seats coupled with VIP treatment.