Allianz is one of the largest travel insurance providers in the world. With over 100 years of experience, Allianz offers a wide range of plans to cover trip cancellation, interruption, delays, medical emergencies, baggage loss, and more. But is their travel insurance really worth the cost? Here we’ll examine the pros and cons of Allianz travel insurance to help you decide if it’s right for your next trip.
What does Allianz travel insurance cover?
Allianz offers several levels of coverage for both domestic and international travel. Here are some of the main benefits included:
– Trip Cancellation – Get reimbursed for prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you need to cancel your trip due to a covered reason, such as illness or severe weather.
– Trip Interruption – Receive reimbursement for unused travel arrangements and additional transportation costs to return home if your trip is interrupted.
– Travel Delay – Be reimbursed for accommodations, meals, and extra transportation if your travel is delayed 12+ hours due to a covered reason.
– Emergency Medical – Covers emergency medical treatment during your trip, including hospitalization, prescriptions, and transport to receive care.
– Baggage Loss/Damage – Provides reimbursement if your baggage is lost, damaged, or stolen during your trip.
– 24/7 Travel Assistance – Allianz connects you with assistance coordinators who can help with medical and travel emergencies.
They also offer optional add-ons like rental car damage coverage, adventurer sport coverage, and a cancel for any reason upgrade.
What does Allianz travel insurance NOT cover?
While Allianz policies are quite comprehensive, there are some exemptions. Some things not covered include:
– Pre-existing medical conditions
– Mental/nervous health disorders
– Pregnancy and delivery
– Extreme sports
– Professional athletic activities
– Self-inflicted injuries
– Civil unrest
– Travel against medical advice
– Normal pregnancy or childbirth
– Non-emergency dental care
– Loss/damage from car rentals
It’s important to read the full policy terms to see exclusions for specific plans. You can also call Allianz to ask questions if the policy isn’t clear.
What are the main benefits of Allianz travel insurance?
Here are some of the biggest advantages of choosing Allianz for travel insurance:
Industry leader – As one of the world’s largest insurers, Allianz has a sterling reputation for customer service and claims payment. Their financial strength brings peace of mind.
Broad coverage options – Allianz offers comprehensive plans for simple and complex trips, with options to customize coverage and add-ons.
Strong travel assistance – Allianz provides 24/7 global travel assistance to help you access medical care, solve travel emergencies, and more while abroad.
Generous trip cancellation/interruption benefits – Allianz provides higher trip cancellation and interruption limits than many competitors.
Experience with cruises – They offer cruise-specific plans and have experience covering the unique risks involved.
Digital tools – You can easily purchase plans online, access details on their app, and manage claims electronically.
What are the main downsides to Allianz insurance?
While Allianz has some great benefits, there are also a few potential drawbacks to consider:
Higher premiums – Allianz plans often cost more than competitors, especially for high trip costs or complex travel.
Strict rules – Claims may be denied if Allianz’s detailed rules aren’t precisely followed, like notifying them within a set timeframe.
Exclusions for older travelers – Coverage can be limited for those over 70-75 years old on some trip types.
Complaints of slow claims – Some travelers report frustrating delays getting claims approved and paid out.
Lack of trip delay triggers – Allianz previously only covered trip delays after 12+ hours, lagging other insurers.
Pre-existing condition limitations – Those with pre-existing medical issues have less coverage under Allianz policies.
As with any insurance, be sure to read the fine print to see if any downsides could impact you.
How much does Allianz travel insurance cost?
Allianz travel insurance premiums are based on a range of factors like:
– Age of travelers
– Trip duration
– Trip cost
– Policy type
– Coverage level selected
– Deductible chosen
– Additional endorsements
For example, a basic Allianz policy for a $2,500, 7-day European vacation for a 30-year-old could cost around $125. For a 2-week African safari costing $15,000 taken by a 60-year-old, the premium could be around $500.
The table below shows estimated Allianz premiums for sample trips to give you an idea of costs:
|7-day Caribbean cruise, $3,000 cost, 45-year-old
|2-week Peru tour, $6,000 cost, 60-year-old
|3-week European tour, $12,000 cost, 70-year-old
Premiums can vary widely based on individual factors, so get an instant free quote from Allianz to find your rate.
What types of Allianz travel insurance are there?
Allianz offers several core travel insurance plans plus various add-ons.
Trip Cancellation & Interruption – Covers prepaid trip costs if you must cancel or interrupt for covered reasons. Up to 100% trip cost coverage available.
Travel Medical – Emergency medical and dental care plus medical evacuation benefits while traveling. Up to $50,000-1,000,000 coverage.
Travel Assistance – Allianz’s 24/7 travel assistance services for emergencies.
Adventurer Plans – Policies designed for adventurous vacations like safaris, with expanded sports coverage.
Annual Plans – Year-long coverage for an unlimited number of trips in the policy period.
Cruise Plans – Coverage tailored for cruises, with benefits like cabin confinement or missed port.
You can also add endorsements like rental car damage, air flight accident, and cancel for any reason to customize coverage.
Core plan options
Allianz offers three main levels of coverage:
Basic – Entry-level plans with lighter benefits like $15,000 medical or $750 trip cancellation.
Classic – Mid-range coverage with $50,000 medical and up to 100% trip cancellation.
Classic with Upgrade – High-end plans with extras like cancel for any reason, primary medical, and lowered age limits.
Within these levels you can further customize plans with different benefit limits and add-ons.
How do I file an Allianz travel insurance claim?
To file a claim with Allianz:
1. Gather supporting documents like receipts, reports, cancellation policies, etc.
2. Submit claims online or download forms to mail in. Provide details on what happened and the expenses incurred.
3. Allianz will review the claim and follow up with any questions. You may need to provide additional documentation.
4. Once approved, Allianz will issue payment according to policy terms, often directly to vendors.
5. For claims disputes, you can resubmit information or file a written appeal for further review.
Be sure to contact Allianz Travel within the required timeframes after an event occurs to avoid potential denial for late reporting. Save all relevant documentation as you may need it later during the claims process.
What do customers have to say about Allianz travel insurance?
Allianz has mixed reviews from past customers online:
Positive reviews highlight:
-Smooth purchase process and helpful customer service
-Claims paid quickly and with few questions
-Quality coverage for affordable premiums
Negative feedback focuses on:
-Claims denied for minor technicalities
-Long delays getting claims approved and paid
-Difficulty understanding complex policy terms
-Lack of responsiveness from claims adjusters
On sites like TrustPilot, Allianz gets around 3.5 out of 5 stars on average. Experiences can vary widely by policy and claim situation. It’s a good idea to do extra research before relying on Allianz for a expensive, complex trip.
How does Allianz compare to other travel insurance providers?
Allianz is one of the world’s largest insurers, but how do they stack up to competitors? Here’s a quick comparison on a few key factors:
|Trip cancellation coverage
|Up to 100% trip cost
|Up to $100,000
|Up to $50,000
|Covered for most plans
|Adventure sports coverage
|With add-on only
|Travel medical limits
|Up to $1 million
|Up to $500,000
|Up to $500,000
While Allianz offers strong financial backing and high cancellation coverage, other insurers like WorldNomads can be better for exotic trips or travelers with health conditions. Compare plans closely to get the right fit.
Is Allianz travel insurance worth it: The bottom line
Overall, Allianz travel insurance can be worth considering for the right kind of traveler and trip. The main takeaways are:
– Allianz offers comprehensive, customizable coverage for most trips
– Policies can cost more than competitors, so compare premiums
– Claims support is extensive but reviews are mixed on payments
– Those with pre-existing medical issues have limited coverage
– Adventurous vacations may require add-on plans
– Carefully reviewing exclusions is essential to avoid denial
– For complex, expensive travel, Allianz is a leading choice
While not the ideal insurer for every situation, Allianz travel insurance gives robust protection to cover costly trip cancellations, interruptions, and emergencies. For vacations you really can’t afford to lose, the extra peace of mind can be worth the investment. Assess your specific trip risks and needs to decide if Allianz is the right fit.