Travis Scott’s recent concert in Egypt has been making headlines due to the high ticket prices. Scott held the concert amongst the pyramids in Giza, Egypt on October 13, 2022. Ticket prices started at around $75 USD going up to $750 USD for VIP packages. This has led many fans and critics to question if the prices were too high.
Background on Travis Scott
Travis Scott is an American rapper, singer and record producer from Houston, Texas. He rose to fame in the early 2010s with his unique vocal style and dark, moody beats. Some of his biggest hits include “Sicko Mode”, “Butterfly Effect” and “Antidote”. He’s known for his theatrical live performances featuring pyrotechnics, stage props and energetic crowd participation.
Scott is one of the most popular and influential rappers today. He has released three studio albums: Rodeo (2015), Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight (2016) and Astroworld (2018). Astroworld debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart and contained his first Billboard Hot 100 number one single, “Sicko Mode”. He has won several Billboard Music Awards, a Latin Grammy Award and has been nominated for multiple Grammy Awards.
Travis Scott’s Concert in Egypt
On October 13, 2022, Travis Scott held his first ever concert in Egypt. The concert took place at a site between the pyramids in Giza, giving it a unique and historic setting. It was Scott’s first performance since the tragic events at his Astroworld festival in November 2021 that resulted in 10 deaths and hundreds of injuries.
The Egypt concert was highly anticipated by fans globally. Scott built up excitement saying the event would be like “Ancient Egypt, space, the future and now all in one.” The event was produced by P-Squared Entertainment and timed to coincide with the 30th anniversary of USAID’s partnership with Egypt.
Ticket prices for the Egypt concert garnered significant attention due to their high costs:
- General admission – $75 USD
- Golden Circle (closer viewing area) – $200 USD
- VIP Package – $750 USD
The VIP package included a seated area in front of the stage, access to a VIP lounge, complimentary drinks and more.
This was notably more expensive than Scott’s previous shows. For example, general admission tickets for his Astroworld tour in 2018 were around $60 USD.
Reactions to High Prices
The high ticket prices caused mixed reactions among fans and critics:
- Many fans were excited just to see Scott perform in such an iconic location. They felt the higher prices were worth it for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Some traveled from all over the Middle East and Europe.
- Other fans felt frustrated that prices made the concert inaccessible, especially for younger fans. Some could not justify spending several hundred dollars for tickets.
- Critics argued that the prices contradicted Scott’s brand as a champion for youth culture. Past concerts like Astroworld had relatively affordable pricing.
- Some commentators noted the high demand still selling out tickets showed Scott’s cultural relevance and power to charge premium prices.
Factors Behind Ticket Prices
There are several factors that may have contributed to the high ticket prices:
- Unique venue – The pyramids site required special permits, security, staging setups and more, which drove up costs.
- Production – Scott’s concerts are known for state-of-the-art lighting, effects and technology.
- First concert after Astroworld – As Scott’s comeback performance, there was incredibly high demand from fans globally.
- Buzz and hype – Holding the concert in Egypt created huge buzz that heightened demand.
- Supply and demand – Scott has not toured extensively since 2018 so fans were eager to see him live.
- Anniversary timing – Linking it to a USAID anniversary added publicity and prestige.
Setlist & Guests
The Egypt concert featured a setlist of Travis Scott’s greatest hits and popular songs. He performed hits like:
- “Sicko Mode”
- “Butterfly Effect”
- ” goosebumps”
- “Highest in the Room”
Scott brought out surprise guest performers to join him on stage including DJ Khaled and choreographer Yung D2.
The show incorporated intricate pyrotechnics and lighting effects to complement the iconic pyramid backdrop. True to Scott’s style, he riled up the crowd to create a high-energy experience.
Impact on Egypt & Tourism
Bringing a major global artist like Travis Scott to perform in Egypt created significant publicity for Egypt and its tourism sector. Some of the beneficial impacts include:
- Putting Egypt in the spotlight for hosting a large-scale global concert, showing capability to organize major events.
- Associating Egypt with cutting-edge artists and events beyond just its ancient history.
- Boosting tourism by inspiring Scott’s fans to then want to visit Egypt and the pyramids.
- Economic benefits from increased tourism and spending in area.
Holding the event also faced some controversy over appropriate use of ancient sites. However, overall the concert generated global buzz and shined a positive light on Egypt’s tourism.
Travis Scott’s concert in Egypt demonstrated the phenomenal hype and demand to see him perform live. Ticket prices ranging from $75 to $750 USD were costly compared to past shows but still sold out swiftly. While pricing frustrated some fans, many felt the historical venue and production value justified the costs. The concert provided a boost to Egypt’s tourism and profile. However, it remains to be seen if other artists will follow Scott’s lead in hosting concerts at ancient sites in Egypt. Going forward, Egypt will likely have to balance offering unique event locations with appropriate preservation.