The Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers are two of the most popular NBA teams in the league. When these two local rivals face off, tickets are always in high demand. In this article, we’ll look at how much Clippers vs Lakers tickets typically cost, factors that impact pricing, and tips for getting the best deals.
Average Ticket Prices
On average, Lakers home game tickets tend to be more expensive than Clippers home game tickets. Here are some average resale ticket prices for recent seasons:
|2018-19 Season Avg
|2019-20 Season Avg
|Lakers (home games)
|Clippers (home games)
During the 2018-19 season, Lakers home game tickets averaged around $250 while Clippers home game tickets averaged $80. In 2019-20, prices for both teams went up, with Lakers tickets averaging $350 and Clippers $120.
When the teams play against each other, the prices also go up. For games at the Staples Center during the 2018-19 season, Clippers vs Lakers tickets averaged:
- Lower balcony seats: $170
- Upper balcony seats: $95
- Lower baseline seats: $420
- Courtside seats: $1,500+
Factors Impacting Ticket Prices
There are several key factors that influence the demand and price of Lakers vs Clippers tickets for any given game:
Team Performance and Standings
How well the teams are playing during a season impacts prices. If both the Lakers and Clippers are title contenders, demand shoots up compared to losing seasons.
Opposing Team and Players
If the Lakers or Clippers are hosting a championship contender or a team with superstar players, it will drive up ticket prices.
Special Events and Giveaways
Promotional events like bobblehead giveaways or Los Angeles-themed special events make games more popular.
Any time the Lakers play the Clippers, prices for the matchup go up. Games late in the season that impact playoff standings also see a bump.
Day of the Week
Weekend games are typically more expensive than weekday games because fans don’t have work or school obligations.
Best Deals on Tickets
While Lakers vs Clippers tickets can get very expensive, especially when the teams are competitive, there are ways to get deals:
- Purchase tickets for weekday games instead of weekend games
- Look for seats in the upper levels like the 300 section over lower bowl
- Buy tickets well in advance instead of waiting until last minute
- Shop resale sites for seats priced below face value
- Buy partial or multi-game packages over single-game tickets
Most Expensive Sections
At the Staples Center, the most expensive seats for Lakers and Clippers games are:
- Floor Seats: Courtside floor seats start around $1,500 and exceed over $9,000 per seat for center court rows. Front row prices average $2,500.
- Lower Bowl Premier: Lower bowl seats closest to floor and center court fetch premium prices from $600 on the low end up to $3,000+ for rows near courtside.
- All-Inclusive Clubs/Suites: Some suites like the Kia Courtside Club include all-inclusive food and beverages. These package deals can run $700+ per person.
For budget-friendly seats, consider sitting in the upper levels like the 300s. Prices start around:
- Upper Corner 300 Level – $60+
- Upper Baseline 300 Level – $80
- Back Rows of Upper Premier 200 Level – $100+
Avoid the lower bowl sidelines and corners if looking for cheap tickets. These are considered premium seats and start at $200-250 for the upper rows.
Secondary Market vs Ticketmaster
There are two main ways to buy Clippers vs Lakers tickets – directly from Ticketmaster or resale sites like StubHub:
- Official ticket source and season ticket waiting lists
- Newly released seats like player/VIP holds
- Full price face value costs
- Fees averaging 25%+ added to all orders
Secondary Market Sites
- Resellable tickets bought from season ticket holders
- Discounted seats priced below face value
- Wider selection of ticket quantities and seat locations
- Potentially fraudulent or invalid listings
With secondary market sites, fees are lower, often between 10-15%. There is more selection for group orders. Prices also dip below face value on low demand games. However, you lose 100% buyer guarantee protection versus Ticketmaster.
How Lebron James Impacts Prices
One player who drastically impacts Lakers ticket prices is Lebron James. During 2018-19, his first season with the team, average prices at Staples Center jumped 64% compared to the previous season according to Forbes. Individual games saw even bigger price increases:
- Lakers vs Warriors – Prices rose 101% with Lebron
- Lakers vs Cavaliers – Prices rose 94% for Lebron’s return to Cleveland
- Lakers vs Rockets – Prices increased 91% compared to the old season
Lebron joining the Lakers increased the average ticket price across all games to $320. When he sits due to rest, prices can drop nearly 20%. If Lebron switches teams or retires, expect steep declines in Lakers ticket prices in the future.
How to Buy From Season Ticket Holders
Here are tips for buying Lakers or Clippers tickets from season ticket holders and brokers:
- Use online resale sites like StubHub, Vivid Seats, SeatGeek
- Look for sellers with 97%+ positive feedback
- Request proof of purchase like a PDF ticket before paying
- Pay with a credit card for buyer protection
- Avoid wire transfers, prepaid cards, Venmo payments
Buying directly from other fans outside Staples Center is riskier due to potential scams or counterfeit tickets. Work with reputable online brokers for safe transactions.
Future Pricing Outlook
As the Lakers add talent like Anthony Davis alongside Lebron James, their ticket prices should remain on the higher side. The Clippers are also on the rise competing for a championship. Expect pricing to exceed $400 on average for marquee games if both franchises stay competitive.
New sponsorship and broadcast rights deals will also factor in. The NBA signed an extension with ESPN through 2025 worth $2.6 billion annually. As media revenues rise, so do team values and ticket demand.
Seeing the Lakers and Clippers battle for LA bragging rights remains one of the hottest tickets in basketball. With celebrity fans, national exposure, and stars like Lebron James, both teams will continue seeing high prices. Using smart strategies like buying early, targeting less popular games, and sitting in upper deck sections can yield significant savings.