Adding events to your calendar is a great way to keep organized and make sure you don’t forget any important appointments, meetings, or personal events. Here are some common questions people have about adding calendar events:
What calendar apps allow you to add events?
Most calendar and scheduling apps have the ability to add events. Some popular options include:
- Google Calendar – Available as a web app and mobile app on Android and iOS
- Outlook Calendar – Comes with Outlook email and available as a web app and mobile app
- Apple Calendar – Pre-installed on Macs and iOS devices
- Microsoft Calendar – Build into Windows 10 and available as a web app
- Yahoo Calendar – Web app and mobile app available
- Calendar apps from third parties like Cozi, Any.do, and Calendly
How do I add an event on Google Calendar?
Here are the steps to add an event to Google Calendar:
- Open Google Calendar on your computer or phone browser, or open the Google Calendar app.
- Click the “+” button to create a new event.
- Enter the name of the event.
- Specify the date and time.
- Enter the location if applicable.
- Add guests you want to invite.
- Select a calendar to save it to.
- Click Save when finished.
Your new event will now appear on your calendar. You’ll get notifications as the event approaches to remind you.
Adding Details to Google Calendar Events
When creating a Google Calendar event, you can include additional details:
- Description – Add specifics about the event.
- Repeat – Make it repeat daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.
- Reminders – Get notifications before the event.
- Status – Mark yourself as Going, Maybe, or Can’t Go.
- Privacy – Control who can see the event.
- Notifications – Email guests event updates.
- Conference call details – For online meetings.
How do I add an event on my iPhone calendar?
To add an event on the default Calendar app for iPhone:
- Open the Calendar app.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the upper right to create a new event.
- Enter the name of the event at the top.
- Tap the time to set the date and time.
- Scroll down and tap Location to add the address.
- Tap the Alerts options to get notifications.
- Tap Done when finished.
The new event will now show up on your iPhone calendar. You can tap it to edit details later.
Additional Options for iPhone Calendar Events
When creating an event on iPhone, you can also:
- Add notes with details about the event.
- Set it to repeat with frequency and end date.
- Invite attendees by adding their names or email.
- Set a custom alert time.
- Add a link, photo or document.
- Choose a different calendar to save it to.
Can I add an event directly to my Google or iPhone calendar without opening the app?
Yes, there are a couple ways to quickly add events to your Google or iPhone calendar without having to open up the app and enter the details manually:
If you have an iPhone, you can use Siri to create calendar events with voice commands. Say something like:
- “Add a meeting with Sarah to my calendar for next Thursday at 2pm.”
- “Create a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday at 10am.”
- “Schedule a yoga class for tomorrow morning at 8am.”
Siri will prompt you for any additional details like location. This is the fastest hands-free way to add calendar events on an iPhone.
Sending an Email
If you use Google Calendar or have your iPhone synced to your Google account, you can email events to quickly add them. Simply send an email to [email protected] with the event name, date, time, and any other details in the email body. Google will automatically create the calendar event.
Make sure you have event creation from Gmail enabled in your Google Calendar settings for this to work.
How do I add an all-day event on my calendar?
To add an all-day event that has no specific start or end time:
- In Google Calendar, turn on the All-day toggle when creating the event.
- In iPhone Calendar, tap All-day when setting the date and time.
- In Outlook, choose All day event when creating the appointment.
This will block off the entire day on your calendar. All-day events are useful for things like birthdays, vacations, conferences, holidays and other special occasions.
Can I add events on my desktop calendar and have them sync to my mobile?
If you use calendar apps like Google, Apple, or Outlook, events will automatically sync across devices. When you add an event on one device, it will show up on your calendar on all other devices where you are logged into the same account.
For example, if you use Google Calendar on your Android phone and Google Chrome browser on your laptop, new events will appear on both after syncing. The same is true for iCloud calendar syncing between iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
How do I share my calendar with other people?
You have a few options for sharing your calendar:
- Shared calendars – Add specific people to have edit access to certain calendars.
- Make calendar public – Anyone can view your calendar but not make edits.
- Export and email – Export your calendar to share .ics file.
- Share read-only link – Generate a read-only link to view your calendar.
When sharing your full calendar, be mindful of any private events you don’t want others to see. You may want to create separate calendars and only share specific ones.
Can I view multiple calendars together?
Yes, most calendar apps give you the ability to view multiple calendars at once. For example:
- Google Calendar allows you to create separate calendars like Personal, Work, etc. You can then show or hide these from your main calendar view.
- iPhone has an option to toggle on or off different accounts like iCloud, Google, Exchange to show those calendars together.
- Outlook lets you select which calendars to view in overlay mode from your list of added accounts.
This lets you see both your personal and work events together on a single calendar, for example. Useful for keeping track of different aspects of your schedule at once.
How do I know if people have accepted or declined a calendar invitation?
When you invite attendees to an event, their responses will show up on the event details:
- Google – You’ll see Yes, No, Maybe, Awaiting Response.
- Outlook – Shows Accepted, Declined, Tentative, No Response.
- iPhone – Indicates Accepted, Declined, Maybe, Pending.
Most calendars will also send you email notifications when someone responds to an invite so you’ll know if they can attend or not.
Can I import events from Facebook into my calendar?
If you connect your Facebook account to certain calendar apps, you may be able to import events:
- Google – Can import Facebook events to Google Calendar.
- Outlook – Lets you connect Facebook account to import events.
- iPhone – Doesn’t offer Facebook import option.
When importing, you’ll likely have the option to select which Facebook events to add and which calendar they sync to. This can help make sure you don’t miss any events planned through Facebook.
What’s the best calendar app for adding events on Mac, PC, iPhone, and Android?
The best calendar app often depends on which devices you use:
- Google Calendar – Great for cross-platform use on Mac, PC, Android, and iPhone. Easy to add events anywhere.
- Apple Calendar – Seamlessly syncs between Mac, iPhone, iPad. But limited to Apple ecosystem.
- Outlook Calendar – Excellent for PC and syncs to Android/iPhone. But requires Office 365 subscription.
- Cozi – Simple calendar app good for families to share events across different platforms and devices.
Evaluate which calendar works best across the devices you use regularly. Convenience features like adding events by voice or email are also useful to consider.
Adding events to your calendar is essential for staying on top of your schedule. Most popular calendar apps make it easy to add events on any device or platform. Take advantage of shortcuts like voice commands or email when available. Keeping your calendar up to date across all devices ensures you never miss an important appointment, meeting, or personal event again.