There are a few things to consider when determining if you have to be 18 years old to use Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster’s official terms state that you must be the minimum age required for the event you are purchasing tickets for in order to use their services. This means if the event has an age restriction, such as 18+, you must meet that age requirement to purchase tickets on Ticketmaster.
“You may not use the Site, purchase tickets through the Site, or accept tickets obtained through the Site if you are under the age required for the relevant event, venue or activity, or are otherwise legally barred from doing so.”
This means that if the event you are trying to purchase tickets for has an age restriction, such as 18+, you must be at least that age in order to complete the ticket purchase on Ticketmaster. The specific age requirement depends on the rules set for each individual event by the promoter or venue.
Ticketmaster does this to comply with legal age restrictions on certain events and activities. By requiring users to meet the age restrictions for events, they avoid liability issues of letting underage users purchase tickets for age-restricted events.
Age Requirements for Specific Events
While Ticketmaster itself does not have a blanket age requirement, many of the events listed on their platform do have specific age restrictions:
- Concerts: The age requirement for concerts can vary based on the venue and performer. Many concerts are open to all ages, but some are 18+ or 21+ only.
- Sporting Events: Most professional sporting events do not have age restrictions, but some venues may set their own limits. College sporting events may require an ID showing you are a student.
- Theater/Performing Arts: Plays, musicals, operas, and other performing arts typically do not have age requirements. However, some performances may be inappropriate for young viewers.
- Comedy Shows: Comedy clubs frequently have age minimums, usually between 16-18 years old. This allows comedians to cater their material to more mature audiences.
- Movies: Movie theaters in the U.S. do not have age requirements for buying tickets, but they do enforce age ratings for R-rated films.
- Music Festivals: Most large music festivals are open to all ages, but some are 18+ or 21+ only events.
- Adult Entertainment: Any events of an adult nature will have age minimums of 18+ or 21+ enforced.
So if you are purchasing tickets on Ticketmaster for an event that has age restrictions in place, you must meet the minimum age in order to complete your purchase. Ticketmaster’s system will verify your age before finalizing ticket transactions for age-restricted events.
Verifying Your Age on Ticketmaster
Ticketmaster uses a few methods to verify users meet the minimum age requirements for certain events:
- User account information – When you create a Ticketmaster user account, it asks for your date of birth. Ticketmaster will reference your DOB to check your age eligibility.
- ID verification for ticket pickup – If you purchase physical tickets for pickup or delivery, you will need to show valid photo ID proving your age when claiming the tickets.
- ID verification for digital tickets – For digital tickets, Ticketmaster may require you to verify your identity by providing an ID image or scan when you open your digital ticket on your phone.
- Credit card verification – Your credit card details may be used to verify your age, as most credit cards require you to be 18+ to be issued a card.
If you cannot provide valid ID proving you meet the age restrictions for the event, Ticketmaster will cancel your order. So when purchasing tickets for age-restricted events, make sure to have proper identification ready.
Using Ticketmaster Under 18
While you must be the age required for certain events to purchase tickets on Ticketmaster, those under 18 can still use Ticketmaster in other ways:
- You can browse Ticketmaster and view event details without an account at any age. You just can’t complete ticket purchases.
- A parent or guardian 18+ can create a Ticketmaster account on behalf of someone under 18 and handle ticket purchases for them.
- Ticket transfers are allowed if the original ticket purchaser meets the event’s age requirements. They can legally transfer or resell tickets to a minor.
- Gift cards can be purchased by someone 18+ and given as a gift to someone under 18 to allow them to obtain tickets for all-ages events.
So there are still ways for those under 18 to obtain tickets through Ticketmaster, as long as an adult is involved in the ticket purchase process.
Exceptions for Emancipated Minors
In some cases, minors who have been legally emancipated from their parents or guardians may be able to circumvent typical age restrictions for events and activities. Emancipated minors have been granted many legal rights of adulthood despite still being under 18.
However, Ticketmaster’s terms do not make any specific allowances for emancipated minors. Unless the event’s age policy specifically states exceptions for emancipated minors, Ticketmaster will still enforce the stated age minimums. There have been cases where emancipated 16 or 17 year olds were prevented from using Ticketmaster to buy tickets for age-restricted events.
So while being emancipated grants many rights of adulthood, there is no guarantee it will allow circumvention of Ticketmaster’s age policies. The best course of action is to review the specific event’s age requirements closely and contact their support team with any questions.
Age Verification for International Orders
Ticketmaster operates globally, so users from other countries looking to purchase tickets to U.S. events will also have to meet age requirements. Ticketmaster states that all international customers must follow the local age requirements and restrictions too.
For international ticket orders, valid photo identification stating your birth date and proving you meet the minimum age requirements will need to be presented. This applies to both digital tickets and events where tickets are picked up in person.
There are some localized exceptions – for example, the minimum age to attend events unaccompanied in the UK is 14 years old. However, if the event itself has a higher age restriction, international users would still have to comply.
In summary, while Ticketmaster itself does not enforce an 18+ age requirement universally, if you are purchasing tickets to an event that has age restrictions in place, you will have to meet the minimum age in order to complete a ticket order.
Whether you are a domestic or international customer, Ticketmaster requires valid ID verification for age minimums before tickets are issued. This is done to comply with legal age limits on certain events. There are some exceptions in cases where a legal guardian makes the purchase or tickets are transferred or gifted after purchase. But in general, if you want to use Ticketmaster to buy tickets directly, you must meet the event’s stated age requirements.
So if you are under 18, double check the age policy for any event you want tickets for before attempting to place an order. For concerts, sports games, and other all-ages events, you should have no issues. But be prepared to provide ID proving your age if the event has an 18+ or 21+ limit in place.
|Typical Age Requirement
|Varies, many all ages but some 18+ or 21+
|Most have no age limits
|Typically no age limits
|Frequently 16+, 18+, or 21+
|No limits on ticket purchase but R-rated film limits apply
|Most all ages but some 18+ or 21+
|18+ or 21+ age limits strictly enforced
This covers the key things to know about age restrictions when using Ticketmaster. Let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions!