Ticketmaster is a major ticket sales and distribution company that serves clients worldwide. While Ticketmaster is based in the United States, it does operate in Canada and provides ticketing services for events across the country. Canadians can purchase tickets on Ticketmaster for concerts, sports games, theater shows and more. However, there are some key differences between using Ticketmaster in Canada versus the US.
Ticketmaster’s Presence in Canada
Ticketmaster has operated in Canada since 2008 after completing an acquisition of TicketsNow. Today, Ticketmaster serves as the primary ticketing provider for:
- Major concerts and live events
- Professional sports leagues like the NHL, NBA and CFL
- Large theaters and entertainment venues
- Major festivals and fairs
Some of the key venues that use Ticketmaster ticketing in Canada include:
- Rogers Arena (Vancouver)
- Scotiabank Saddledome (Calgary)
- Rogers Place (Edmonton)
- MTS Centre (Winnipeg)
- Canadian Tire Centre (Ottawa)
- Bell Centre (Montreal)
- Scotiabank Arena (Toronto)
Outside of venues, Ticketmaster also provides ticketing for the following Canadian sports teams:
- Toronto Raptors (NBA)
- Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
- Toronto Blue Jays (MLB)
- Toronto FC (MLS)
- Montreal Canadiens (NHL)
- Vancouver Canucks (NHL)
- Edmonton Oilers (NHL)
- Calgary Flames (NHL)
- Ottawa Senators (NHL)
- Winnipeg Jets (NHL)
And is the go-to ticketing provider for large concerts and festivals like Osheaga, Squamish Valley Music Festival, Montreal Jazz Festival and more.
Buying Tickets on Ticketmaster Canada
The process of buying tickets on Ticketmaster Canada is very similar to the US site. Customers can search for events, select tickets and checkout. However, there are some differences to be aware of:
- Tickets are priced in Canadian dollars (CAD). The converted price may be higher or lower than the equivalent US ticket price.
- Some events or ticket options may not be available on Ticketmaster Canada if they are not offered to the Canadian market.
- Ticketmaster Canada has country-specific terms and conditions that apply instead of the general Ticketmaster US terms.
- The Ticketmaster Canada website uses a .ca domain name instead of .com.
- Canadian customers can select shipping and billing addresses in Canada.
- Ticketmaster Canada site is available in both English and French.
Despite some small differences, the overall process of finding and purchasing event tickets on Ticketmaster is very similar for Canadian users compared to the US. Canadian customers simply access Ticketmaster.ca rather than Ticketmaster.com when looking to buy tickets.
Mobile Ticketing in Canada
Another option for Canadians buying tickets on Ticketmaster is mobile ticketing. This allows customers to purchase tickets digitally and receive them directly on their smartphone instead of needing a printed ticket.
To use mobile ticketing on Ticketmaster Canada, customers will need to:
- Download the Ticketmaster app on iOS or Android.
- Purchase event tickets within the app using an existing Ticketmaster account or as a guest.
- Select mobile delivery when checking out.
- The ticket barcode will display in the app, which can be scanned directly from the phone screen when entering the event.
Mobile ticketing provides a convenient, contactless way for Canadians to access their tickets. As with the website, the Ticketmaster mobile apps function the same in Canada as they do in the US.
Fees for Buying Tickets on Ticketmaster Canada
One downside of using Ticketmaster either in Canada or the US is the different fees that get added onto every order. Canadians buying tickets on Ticketmaster.ca will encounter the following types of fees:
- Service fee – This fee goes to Ticketmaster for using their platform and ranges from about 15-20% of the ticket price.
- Facility charge – This extra fee goes to the host venue.
- Order processing fee – A small fee for processing the transaction.
- Taxes – Canadian residents have to pay GST or HST on tickets depending on the province.
The benefit of buying directly from a box office is avoiding most of these fees. However, the convenience of purchasing online from Ticketmaster often makes it worth the extra costs for many Canadian ticket buyers.
Ticketmaster Customer Support in Canada
For assistance with orders from Ticketmaster Canada, customers can contact their Canada-based customer support team.
Ticketmaster Canada customer service can be reached by:
- Live chat through the Ticketmaster website
- Email at [email protected]
- Phone at 1-855-985-5000
Agents are available 7 days a week to help with issues like:
- Questions about orders and delivery
- Problems signing into your account
- Changing or canceling an order
- Managing tickets you’ve purchased
For in-person support, Ticketmaster also has retail locations called the Ticketmaster Canada Service Centre open across the country in major cities like Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver.
Key Takeaways – Using Ticketmaster in Canada
- Ticketmaster provides ticketing services for a huge range of major events and venues across Canada.
- The Ticketmaster Canada website and app work very similarly to the US version.
- Canadians get the convenience of buying tickets online but have to pay additional fees.
- Mobile ticketing allows Canadians to have digital tickets on their smartphones.
- Ticketmaster Canada has dedicated customer service agents and retail stores to assist customers.
So in summary – yes, Ticketmaster can definitively be used by Canadians to purchase tickets for concerts, sports events, theater and other entertainment events happening across the country. While Ticketmaster is an American company, they have a major presence in Canada and offer localized support and services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Ticketmaster have different ticket availability or prices in Canada?
Ticket availability and pricing on Ticketmaster Canada can vary compared to the US site. Certain events or ticket types may only be offered to Canadian buyers. Likewise, Canadian ticket prices are listed in CAD currency which is converted based on current exchange rates. So prices may appear cheaper or more expensive to Americans looking at the Canadian site.
What payment methods can you use on Ticketmaster Canada?
Ticketmaster Canada accepts all major credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover. They also accept PayPal as well as gift cards or Ticketmaster voucher codes. Transactions will process in Canadian dollars.
Can you use a US Ticketmaster gift card on the Canadian site?
Unfortunately Ticketmaster gift cards are region specific. A gift card purchased on Ticketmaster.com would not work if trying to make a purchase on Ticketmaster Canada. You would need to have a gift card bought from Ticketmaster.ca to redeem it on the Canadian site.
Does Ticketmaster charge ticket transfer fees in Canada?
Yes, Ticketmaster Canada does charge a transfer fee if you need to transfer tickets you purchased to someone else. The fee is typically around CAD $5-15 per ticket transferred.
What happens if an event is canceled or postponed in Canada?
If an event booked through Ticketmaster Canada is canceled, customers will receive a refund for the face value of the ticket only. Service and processing fees are non-refundable. For postponed events, tickets typically remain valid for the new date. If the new date doesn’t work, you can generally request a refund of the ticket value.
Is Ticketmaster the only option for buying tickets to live events in Canada?
Ticketmaster is the dominant ticketing provider in Canada but not the only option. Many smaller venues will sell tickets directly through their own box office without using Ticketmaster. Some events may use other ticketing companies like Ticketpro or Ticketfly. Checking directly with the event host is the best way to see all ticket purchasing options.
Can you buy NFL tickets on Ticketmaster Canada?
No, tickets for NFL games cannot be purchased on Ticketmaster Canada. The NFL does not have teams based in Canada and sells all tickets through US-based distributors. Canadians would need to either buy NFL tickets on the US Ticketmaster site or through a reseller offering international shipping.
Is there a way to avoid service fees on Ticketmaster Canada?
There is no authorized way to avoid Ticketmaster’s service fees when purchasing through their website or app. The fees are part of their business model. The only way to avoid the fees is to purchase tickets directly from a venue box office if that option is available.
Does Ticketmaster Canada offer accessible seating options?
Yes, Ticketmaster Canada does offer accessible seating tickets for people with disabilities and their companions. Customers can filter search results to see only accessible ticket options. Certain restrictions and documentation requirements may apply depending on the event.
Comparison of Buying Tickets on Ticketmaster in Canada vs. US
|CAD currency used
|USD currency used
|Primary domain is ticketmaster.ca
|Primary domain is ticketmaster.com
|Mostly focuses on Canadian events
|Mostly US-based events
|Canadian billing/shipping addresses
|US billing/shipping addresses
|Support via phone, chat, email for Canada
|Fewer sports leagues available (mostly CFL, NHL, NBA)
|More US leagues available (NFL, MLB etc.)
In summary, Canadians can absolutely purchase tickets through Ticketmaster for concerts, sports, theater and other live entertainment events happening in Canada. The Ticketmaster Canada website, app and customers service offer a localized experience tailored specifically to Canadian users and events.
While there are minor differences from Ticketmaster US, the core functionality works the same. Canadians can search events, choose ticket types, checkout online and access tickets digitally through mobile delivery. Ultimately Ticketmaster provides a very convenient option for Canadians to get tickets, even if additional fees apply.