Getting a refund on tickets purchased through Ticketmaster can be a tricky process. The company’s refund policy states that refunds are available on most tickets, as long as the refund is requested within a certain time period. So can you get a refund within the first 24 hours of purchasing tickets? Here is what you need to know.
Ticketmaster’s Refund Policy
According to Ticketmaster’s purchase policy, refunds are available on most tickets as long as the refund is requested before the event occurs. However, the exact refund timeframe varies depending on the type of event.
- For sporting events, concerts, theater shows and other live entertainment events, refund requests must be submitted within 24 hours of the event’s scheduled start time.
- For non-live entertainment products like movies, refunds are allowed within 7 days of your purchase or 7 days after the content’s release date if it is released after your purchase date.
- Some specialty events may have different refund rules which will be disclosed during the purchase process.
So for most live events sold on Ticketmaster, you have a 24 hour window after the scheduled start time to request your money back. This means if you bought tickets to a concert happening on Saturday at 8 PM, you would need to ask for a refund before 8 PM on Sunday in order to get your money back.
How the 24 Hour Refund Window Works
Ticketmaster’s 24 hour refund window provides a way for customers to get a refund if they have a change of plans or make a purchasing mistake shortly after buying tickets. Here is how it works:
- The 24 hour window starts from the event’s scheduled start time, not when you actually purchased the tickets.
- Refunds are allowed on most event tickets, unless otherwise stated during the buying process.
- To request a refund, you need to contact Ticketmaster’s customer service before the 24 hour window closes.
- If approved, your refund will be issued back to the original payment method used to purchase the tickets.
- Refunds do not include processing or service fees, which Ticketmaster keeps.
- If an event is postponed or rescheduled, the 24 hour window will apply to the new event date/time.
So in summary, you have up until 24 hours after the originally scheduled start time of the event to ask for a refund through Ticketmaster’s customer service channels. This provides a way out if you make a hasty ticket purchase that you quickly regret or have unexpected schedule changes soon after buying tickets.
Reasons You May Request a Refund
There are a few common reasons that customers request refunds within that first 24 hour window after buying event tickets on Ticketmaster:
- Change of plans – Your schedule may change between the time you purchase tickets and the event date, forcing you to no longer be able to attend. Requesting a refund within 24 hours gives you a way to back out of plans.
- Purchasing the wrong tickets – In your haste to buy tickets, you may accidentally purchase the wrong number of tickets, wrong seat locations, tickets for the wrong date, etc. The 24 window gives you time to correct those mistakes.
- Changing your mind – You may have an instant feeling of regret after making an impulse ticket purchase. The refund window allows you time to back out on impulse buys.
- Overspending – Seeing the total ticket cost after fees may lead you to realize that you overspent on the tickets. You can request a refund and look for cheaper options.
Having this 24 hour buffer period allows customers some breathing room in which they can correct any ticket-buying mistakes, change their plans, or simply cancel a purchase they rethink and no longer want.
How to Request a Refund on Ticketmaster
If you want to request a refund on Ticketmaster tickets within the valid 24 hour window, here is the process:
- Contact Ticketmaster Customer Service
- By phone at 1-800-653-8000 (toll-free) or 1-800-745-3000 (TTY)
- Using their online contact form at https://www.ticketmaster.com/contact
- In-person at a Ticketmaster ticket center, if available
- Provide order details – have your order number, ticket info, and original purchasing details ready
- Explain reason for refund request
- Ticketmaster will review based on their refund policy and confirm if approved
- Refund will be issued to your original payment method if approved
The key things are contacting Ticketmaster Customer Service via phone or online within 24 hours of the event’s start time and having your order details handy so you can provide the necessary information.
Why Refunds May Be Denied
While Ticketmaster does offer refunds within 24 hours on most events, refund requests can still be denied even within the window if any of the below cases apply:
- The tickets are marked as non-refundable during the purchasing process
- The 24 hour window has expired by the time you contact Ticketmaster
- You bought the tickets through a resale site like Stubhub instead of directly through Ticketmaster
- The tickets have already been downloaded or used to access the event
If any of those cases apply, unfortunately Ticketmaster will not be able to offer a refund on your tickets even within 24 hours. The 24 hour policy only applies to directly purchased tickets that have not yet been used.
Getting Your Money Back Another Way
If you are past the 24 hour window or were denied a refund for another reason, there are couple other ways you may be able to get your money back:
- Sell or gift the tickets – You can sell the tickets through Ticketmaster’s resale platform or a site like StubHub. You can also gift the tickets to a friend or family member if the event has already passed.
- File a credit card dispute – For fraudulent purchases or if you believe you were wrongly denied a refund, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company.
- Take advantage of Ticketmaster’s ticket exchanges – Some events allow you to exchange your tickets for vouchers to a future event. Check with Ticketmaster on exchange policies.
If the 24 hour refund window has closed, those are a few alternate ways you may be able to recover some or all of your ticket purchase amount by reselling, exchanging or disputing the charges.
Tips for Hassle-Free Refunds on Ticketmaster
To have the best shot at getting a refund approved on Ticketmaster, keep these tips in mind:
- Act quickly – Request the refund as soon as possible within that 24 hour window after the event’s start time.
- Double check event details – Confirm the event date, time, venue, and seat details before purchasing tickets.
- Only buy from Ticketmaster directly – The refund policy only applies to ticket purchases directly through Ticketmaster, not resale sites.
- Review refund policies before buying – Some events have different policies, which will be displayed during checkout.
- Keep order details handy – Have your order number, ticket details, and purchasing info ready when you contact customer service.
Following those tips will make getting a timely refund through Ticketmaster much easier. Act fast within 24 hours, buy directly from Ticketmaster, and have all your ticket details ready when you call.
The Bottom Line
At the end of the day, here’s what you need to know about getting refunds on Ticketmaster:
- Refunds are offered on most events within 24 hours of an event’s scheduled start time
- Eligible refunds are issued to the original payment method
- Refunds don’t include processing or service fees
- Request refunds via Ticketmaster customer service phone or online
- Have your order details and reason for refund ready when contacting support
So as long as you act within that 24 hour window and provide all necessary details, getting at least a partial refund on Ticketmaster tickets is possible in many cases. Just be aware of the narrow window to make your request compared to more generous refund policies other companies may offer.